Sleep can help me lose weight? This statement is partly true, now I’m not suggesting that you can lose weight just by doing nothing but sleeping, but I am informing you that there’s strong medical evidence that suggests sleep deprivation can cause you to gain great amounts of weight.
So what’s the deal with sleep and weight loss?
Researchers have found that the quality of the sleep you get can greatly affects your hormonal activity, which is very much tied to your appetites and cravings. When you think about it, if you’re sleepy what does that make you want to do all day? Of course…sleep!
Sleepiness can cause your days to drag on and cause you to be more stressed and lazy throughout the day. This stress and laziness can cause you to eat high calorie foods like fast food or make you drink things that contain high amounts of sugar and caffeine. It can also cause you to exercise less. Eventually the sleep deprivation can sabotage your waistline and your health.
Understanding the importance of sleep>diet.
Having a regular sleep schedule will help you have a metabolism that will function properly. To further explain, you have two key hormones that tells your body when to go and when to stop. The ghrelin is the “go hormone” that tells us when to eat and the leptin is the “stop hormone” that tells us to when to stop eating. When you’re sleep deprived you produce more ghrelin and have less leptin, which makes you eat more thus gaining more weight.
Well that's great...but I can't sleep when I need to! So what can I do to get more sleep?
- It’s important that you train you body to have a regular sleep schedule throughout the week. Make sure you try to go to sleep at the same time everyday!
- Studies have shown that people who sleep less weigh more, so it’s important that you get about 7-8 hours of sleep everyday so you can wake up refreshed.
- If you have trouble sleeping try taking melatonin the first couple days. Melatonin can greatly help you get back to your regular sleep schedule.
- Avoid drinking caffeinated beverage before bedtime.
- Try eating a healthy light meal hours before going to sleep because heartburn can cause sleeplessness.
- Before you go to sleep don't think about things too much...the day is over and tomorrow is a new day, so don't stress about it and just get some rest!